Smithville

Highway MarkerHistory

The Smithville historical marker, marks the formerly Hatobi (Man-Killer in Choctaw), renamed in 1890 for pioneer Joshua Smith. Center of Choctaw settlement and activity in early period. Olsom training school here 1921-33. Named for Choctaw minister Willis Folsom, W.B. Hubbell superintendent. Sealey Methodist Chapel built on Folsom campus 1925, named for generous donor and former student Sealey Alexander, Salt Link in vicinity inspired name of Big Lick Presbyterian church hear since 1830’s

Directory locations are approximate