Harris House

AttractionsHighway MarkerHistorySite Marker

The Harris House presents the story of the home built in 1867 for Choctaw diplomat and jurist Henry Harris. (Co-located with Pecan Point marker on U.S. 259 south of Harris.) Marks this National Register property built in 1867 for Choctaw diplomat and jurist Henry Harris. (Located on home site at Pleasant Hill, southwest of Haworth.) Built on Harris Ferry Road in 1867 by Judge Henry Churchhill Harris. Choctaw leader, jurist and diplomat, who established ferry on Red River prior to Civil Ward. Post office Opened As Harris May 22, 1894. House was centered in Pleasant Hill plantation and servied as headquarters for other Harris business interests. Home restored in 1949 by builder’s grandson, Charles L. Harris and wife, Ruby. Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

Directory locations are approximate